Vallda Heberg - District heating systems based on wood chips/wood pellet boilers and roof-integrated solar collectors.
Vallda Heberg - District heating systems based on wood chips/wood pellet boilers and roof-integrated solar collectors.
Vallda Heberg is an area in Sweden where all buildings have to aim for the national passive house standard. The design intention of the homes in Vallda Heberg is that the solar heating systems should provide up to 40% of the total demand, whilst the remaining 60% (mainly during the heating season) is covered by a central wood pellet boiler.
Primary project use
Residential
Project Type
New Build
Spatial Scale
Neighbourhood or District
Site Characteristics
Greenfield
Sectors of Innovation
  • Built Environment
  • Energy
Type of Innovation
  • Technical
Origin of the idea
  • Private Sector Company
Time to Market
Operational Now
Project Status
Completed/Operational

Vallda Heberg is an area in Sweden where all buildings have to aim for the national passive house standard. The design intention of the homes in Vallda Heberg is that the solar heating systems should provide up to 40% of the total demand, whilst the remaining 60% (mainly during the heating season) is covered by a central wood pellet boiler.
The area comprises 26 single family buildings, four multi-family buildings (4 apartments per building), 6 row houses with 22 units and a nursing home for elderly people with 64 apartments, all together about 14000m2 heated floor area. All buildings are well insulated with airtight envelopes and have supply and exhaust ventilation systems with heat recovery. Furthermore, there is an air heating coil in the supply air for heating when required and heat driven white goods (e.g. washing machines), in the residential units.

The local district heating system comprises one central heating plant with a 250 kW wood-pellet boiler (and an oil boiler for back-up), a buffer storage tank and four sub-stations (SS1-4) with buffer storage tanks and hot water circulation systems.  A system of evacuated tube solar collectors (108m2) was installed on the heating plant and 570m2 of flat plate roof-integrated solar collectors in connection to the sub stations. The primary heat distribution comprises a 2-pipe system between the central heating plant and the Sub-stations. The secondary heat distribution comprises a 2-pipe hot water circulation system between the sub-stations and the connected buildings. The circulating hot water is further used to heat the buildings when there is a heat demand.

The design and production of the project has taken place in a partnering collaboration between the clients, Kungsbacka municipality, housing Eksta Bostad AB, and the contractor, NCC Construction Sweden AB. Building energy efficiently in such a large scale is unique and brings a whole new way of thinking and large interdisciplinary collaborations.

Institution
Institute for Sustainability
Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com